What's more fun than a themed cupcake? These Thanksgiving "Mashed Potato" cupcakes are sure to be a crowd-pleaser. They're easy and delicious, and the perfect way to celebrate your Thanksgiving season!
- Gluten-free flour
- Caramel sauce
- Yellow starbursts
- Vanilla buttercream frosting
- Cupcake Liners
- Unsalted Butter
- Granulated Sugar
- Baking powder
- Milk (I use oatmilk)
- Vanilla extract
Decorating Tips for these Vanilla Cupcakes:
- After you're scooped on the frosting using a cookie scoop, take a warm spoon to make a dent in the middle. That is where the caramel will set.
- Don't use too much caramel or it will drip off the top of the vanilla cupcakes!
- Use a cookie scoop to get that fluffy frosting to match the fluffy cupcakes.
Tips for the BEST Cupcakes:
- Make sure you have gluten-free flour. I used Cup4Cup gluten-free flour. It works so well!
- Use quality cupcake liners.
- Don't overbeat the cupcake batter.
- Only fill each cupcake tin or liner halfway. The cupcakes will rise.
- This recipe makes 12 cupcakes.
- You can also add chocolate chips to the frosting.
- If you don’t want to bake these cupcakes this week, freeze them after they come out of the oven. Then pop them into the fridge overnight before serving.
- Make sure to refrigerate the frosting at least 30 minutes before spreading it onto the cupcakes.
- For best results, chill the cupcakes in the refrigerator
Can I Freeze Cupcakes?
Yes! Just follow my tips above. Make sure to leave them as unfrosted cupcakes in the freezer.
How Long Does It Take To Bake A Cupcake?
It takes about 20 minutes to bake the cupcakes.
Do I Need To Preheat My Oven?
Yes! 350 degrees.
Can I Use A Mixer Instead Of Hand Mixing?
Yes. You can mix the ingredients together with an electric mixer.
Is There Any Way To Prevent The Caramel From Seeping Out Of The Top Of The Cupcake?
Yes, by creating a little dent in the middle of the frosting with a warm, dry spoon (see my video).
Can I Make the Frosting Ahead?
Can I Add Chocolate Chips To The Frosting?
Yes, just stir them in when you spread the frosting on the cupcakes.
How long will these cupcakes keep?
The cupcakes should last up to 3 days if stored in an airtight container. If left uneaten any longer, they may not be as fresh. Eat them as soon as possible to enjoy the airy cupcakes!
If you like this recipe and sweet treat, please give share it with friends and follow me on Instagram. Thank you!!
"Mashed Potato" Cupcakes
Making the Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl combine all dry ingredients.
- In another bowl whisk together eggs and milk until smooth.
- Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and fold until combined.
- Fill each muffin cup half full.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes (or until a toothpick comes out clean).
- Let the cupcakes cool.
Decorating the Cupcakes
- Use a small cookie scoop to frost the cupcakes. The cupcakes should each have a large dollop of frosting.
- Run a metal spoon under hot water and dry.
- Run the spoon in little circles on top of each cupcake to create a dent.
- Pour about ½ teaspoon caramel sauce into each dent.
- Top the caramel sauce with an unwrapped yellow starburst.