This 3 ingredient chocolate bark is so easy to make and makes a great Valentine's Day gift! It's a combination of white chocolate, dark chocolate, and candy hearts. The candy hearts give the bark a nice crunch!
This particular 3 ingredient chocolate bark is perfect for Valentine's Day, but you can omit the candy hearts or change up the white chocolate color to fit any holiday or celebration.
- candy hearts
- tempered dark chocolate
- tempered white chocolate
See recipe card for quantities.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
Melt both chocolates in separate bowls in the microwave according to package instructions. You can also use a double boiler to melt the chocolate.
Carefully pour the dark chocolate on the baking sheet and spread it with a spatula.
Top with dollops of white chocolate.
Use a toothpick to swirl the two colors together.
Top with candy hearts.
Let the chocolate set in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
Take the chocolate out of the fridge and use a knife to cut medium-sized pieces.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
Hint: precut baking sheets are the hack you need in the kitchen. You can get them HERE.
How to Temper Chocolate
You need a double boiler. A double boiler is a pot set inside another pot filled with simmering water. This allows you to melt chocolate without burning it. To make a double boiler, choose a small or medium saucepan and fill it with a small amount of simmering water. Place a shallow, heatproof dish on top of the saucepan. Make sure the water doesn’t touch the bottom of your dish. You want the boiling liquid to warm the dish, but you don’t need it to get too hot.
White chocolate should be melted slowly over low heat. A clean, dry spoon works best for mixing. Don’t lift the lid of the double boiler while heating. Steam can escape, and you don’t want that!
Easy Microwave Chocolate Tempering
Melting chocolate or confectionery coatings in the microwave is easy. You’ll need a microwave-safe bowl and some microwave-safe utensils. Put the chocolate into the bowl. Stir the chocolate until it is melted. Take out the bowl and put it back into the microwave. Microwave the chocolate for 30 seconds. Remove the bowl and stir again. Repeat this process until the chocolate is completely melted.
Chocolate needs to be heated gently in the microwave. Don’t heat it too much, or else it will become grainy.
Customize your DIY chocolate bark
You can easily switch out the Valentine's Day candy hearts for other Valentine's Day candies. Or, add dried fruit and nuts and seeds for a healthier Valentine's Day sweet treat.
- Dark Chocolate - instead of dark chocolate, you can use milk chocolate.
- White Chocolate - use any color white chocolate instead of red-colored white chocolate.
- Extra Chocolate - add chocolate chips on top instead of candy hearts to make the chocolate bark extra chocolatey.
- Almond Chocolate - add sliced or crushed almonds on top of the chocolate bark.
See this recipe for other chocolate bars and bark ideas.
It depends on the chocolate you choose. In my recipe, all the ingredients are vegan.
You can make chocolate bark up to 7 days in advance.
This recipe is totally free of gluten.
- A baking sheet - essential for making chocolate bark. Plus, the one I use is pink! Find the one I use HERE.
- Precut parchment paper - precut parchment paper makes this recipe so much easier to make! Find my recommendation HERE.
- A rubber spatula - a rubber spatula is super important for spreading the chocolate out on the baking sheet. Find my favorite one HERE.
Store the chocolate bark in an airtight container on the counter for up to 7 days.
Do not place near anything hot.
Chocolate bark should be spread evenly across the cookie sheet. A clean spatula should be used to spread the chocolate bark.
Simple 3 Ingredient Chocolate Bark
- 24 ounces dark chocolate
- 12 ounces white chocolate
- ¼ cup candy hearts
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Melt both chocolates in separate bowls in the microwave according to package instructions. You can also use a double boiler to melt the chocolate.
- Carefully pour the dark chocolate on the baking sheet and spread it with a spatula.
- Top with dollops of white chocolate.
- Use a toothpick to swirl the two colors together.
- Top with candy hearts.
- Let the chocolate set in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Take the chocolate out of the fridge and use a knife to cut medium-sized pieces.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
- Never leave the chocolate in the microwave unattended