As a food blogger, I love experimenting with different cooking techniques to create tasty and healthy meals. Air fryers are one of my favorite kitchen appliances, as they allow me to make crispy and flavorful dishes with minimal oil. In this post, I'm sharing my recipe for air fryer roasted carrots, a simple side dish that can be made in minutes and is packed with flavor.
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below and/or a review in the comments section down the page. Stay in touch with me through social media by following me on Instagram, Pinterest, and TikTok or by subscribing to my newsletter.
Roasted carrots are a classic side dish that can be enjoyed with many different flavor combinations. However, using an air fryer takes this dish to a whole new level. Air fryers cook food crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, with caramelized edges that add extra flavor and texture. Plus, using an air fryer means that cooking time is reduced, making it a perfect option for busy weeknights.
Carrots are not only delicious, but they're also a healthy alternative to other vegetable side dishes. They're a great source of vitamin A, which helps support eye health and immune function. Plus, they're low in calories and high in fiber, making them a great choice for anyone looking to maintain a healthy diet. In this recipe, I use baby carrots sliced in half and arranged in a single layer in the air fryer to ensure even cooking and crispy edges.
What are Parmesan Air Fryer Carrots?
Parmesan air fryer carrots are a delicious and easy-to-make side dish that is perfect for family dinners. This recipe uses baby carrots arranged in a single layer on an air fryer baking sheet or basket, and cooked until they have crispy edges and caramelized edges. The Philips Air Fryer is a great choice for making this recipe, as it cooks food quickly and evenly.
Roasted carrots are a classic side dish, but cooking them in an air fryer takes them to the next level. The crispy edges and caramelized edges make for a satisfying and flavorful dish that pairs well with many different flavor combinations. Plus, carrots are a great source of vitamin A, which helps support eye health and immune function.
If you're looking for amazing air fryer recipes, parmesan air fryer carrots should definitely be on your list. They're a simple side dish that is easy to make and can be customized to your tastes. With a short cooking time and minimal preparation, this dish is perfect for busy weeknights when you want to get a healthy and delicious meal on the table quickly.
Benefits of Making Parmesan Air Fryer Carrots
- Carrots in air fryer are the perfect way to make crispy and flavorful roasted carrots, without the need for a lot of oil.
- This simple side dish is easy to make and can be served with any favorite meal, making it a versatile dish for family dinners.
- Using just a sprinkle of salt or flaky sea salt can enhance the natural sweetness of the carrots and add an extra layer of flavor to this healthy dish.
- Air fryer carrot fries or carrot sticks are a great alternative to traditional french fries, providing a healthier option that still satisfies those cravings for something crispy and delicious.
- Adding roasted carrots to your healthy meal plans can help boost your vitamin A intake, support eye health and immune function, and provide a satisfying and filling addition to any meal.
Preparing the Carrots
- 1 pound of carrots: This is the main ingredient of the recipe, and can be sliced into inch pieces or carrot slices. Carrots are packed with nutrients, such as vitamin A, fiber, and antioxidants, making them a healthy and delicious addition to any meal.
- Seasoning options: The recipe calls for ground pepper, but other seasoning options can be used, such as paprika, garlic powder, or Italian seasoning. Seasonings are important to add flavor to the carrots and complement the natural sweetness of the vegetable.
- Salt: Sprinkling salt over the carrots before cooking helps to draw out the natural moisture of the vegetable, which results in caramelized edges and crispy texture. A teaspoon of salt over carrots is enough to enhance the flavor and make them taste delicious.
- Teaspoon pepper: Adding a teaspoon of ground pepper to the carrots helps to bring out the savory flavor of the vegetable, making it a great complement to other dishes.
Overall, the ingredients in this recipe are simple, but each one plays an important role in making delicious air fryer carrots that are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. Slicing the carrots into inch pieces or carrot slices ensures even cooking, while seasoning options and a teaspoon of salt and pepper provide the perfect flavor combination. Finally, using baby carrots adds sweetness and tenderness to the dish, making it a perfect side for any meal.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F.
- Cut the carrots into larger pieces or inch pieces, depending on your preference.
- In a medium bowl or mixing bowl, combine the carrots with olive oil. You can use extra-virgin olive oil for added flavor.
- Toss the carrots in the olive oil mixture until they are evenly coated.
- Arrange the carrots in a single layer in the air fryer basket or on the air fryer tray.
- Cook the carrots in the air fryer for the exact cooking time specified in your recipe or until fork-tender. This can take anywhere from 10-20 minutes, depending on the size of the carrot piece.
- Check the carrots occasionally with a fork for tenderness, and remove them from the air fryer when they are cooked to your liking.
- Once cooked, transfer the carrots to a serving dish and sprinkle with flaky sea salt or flaky salt, if desired.
- Serve the air fryer carrots as bite-sized pieces or larger pieces, depending on your preference.
By following these simple instructions, you can make delicious and healthy air fryer carrots that are perfect for a quick and easy side dish. With a few simple ingredients and the right cook time, you can enjoy crispy, caramelized edges and tender, flavorful carrots in no time.
Cooking the Carrots
Time and Temperature Settings
The time and temperature settings for cooking air fryer carrots can vary depending on the size of the carrot pieces and the desired level of doneness. In general, a temperature of 400°F is a good starting point for cooking air fryer carrots. This temperature ensures that the carrots get crispy on the outside while staying tender on the inside.
The cook time for air fryer carrots can also vary depending on the size of the carrot pieces. For larger pieces or whole carrots, a longer cook time of around 20-25 minutes may be needed. For inch pieces or smaller carrot slices, a cook time of around 10-15 minutes may be sufficient.
It's important to note that the exact cooking time and temperature may vary depending on the specific air fryer you are using and the recipe you are following. Some recipes may call for a higher or lower temperature, or a longer or shorter cook time. It's always a good idea to follow the recipe instructions closely and check the carrots occasionally with a fork for tenderness to ensure they are cooked to your liking.
Tips for Perfectly Roasted Carrots Every Time
- Cut the carrots into uniform pieces. This ensures that they cook evenly and are fork tender.
- Lightly salt the carrots before cooking. This helps to draw out moisture and creates crispy edges.
- Coat the carrots with oil evenly. This helps to ensure that the carrots cook evenly and become crispy on the outside.
- Use a fork for tenderness. Check the carrots occasionally with a fork to make sure they are cooked to your liking.
- For larger pieces of carrots, adjust the air frying time. It may be necessary to add extra time to ensure the carrots are cooked through.
- Consider adding extra seasoning. Experiment with different seasoning options to create unique and flavorful air fryer carrots.
By following these tips, you can create perfectly cooked and delicious air fryer carrots every time. Whether you're using inch pieces or larger pieces, coating the carrots with an olive oil mixture, and seasoning with salt and other spices, you can enjoy tender and flavorful roasted carrots with crispy edges. Just be sure to adjust the air frying time and seasoning as needed to create a dish that is perfect for your taste preferences.
- Seasoned carrot variation: Toss the carrots with spices such as chili powder or garlic powder for a spicy or savory version.
- Rainbow carrot variation: Use a mix of rainbow carrots for a colorful and tasty side dish.
- Frozen carrot variation: Air fry frozen carrots for a quick and healthy side dish.
- Honey roasted carrot variation: Toss the carrots in a mixture of liquid honey, virgin olive oil, and a pinch of Himalayan salt for a batch of honey roasted carrots. For a caramelized honey version, sprinkle the carrots with a little bit of brown sugar.
- Fresh rosemary variation: Garnish the air fryer carrots with fresh rosemary or rosemary stalks for a fragrant and tasty herb flavor.
- Maple tahini sauce variation: Serve the air fryer carrots with a tasty sauce, such as a maple tahini sauce or cilantro yogurt sauce.
- Avocado oil or coconut oil variation: Replace the olive oil with avocado oil or coconut oil for a different flavor profile.
Overall, there are many ways to switch up this simple recipe and create a healthy and delicious vegetable side dish that everyone will enjoy. By experimenting with different spices, oils, and sauces, you can create a dish that is perfect for your taste preferences and is quick and easy to make in the air fryer.
Do I need an air fryer to make this recipe?
No, you don't need an air fryer. You can make roasted air fryer carrots in a conventional oven with the convection setting. Simply use an air fryer baking sheet or a regular baking sheet and follow the recipe instructions. You can also use a toaster oven for smaller batches. The recipe is versatile and can be made using different ovens. Air fryer recipes are great, but not necessary. Experiment with seasoning options and try other Air Fryer Vegetable Recipes to find new favorites.
Side Dishes to Serve with Parmesan Air Fryer Carrots
- Grilled chicken or steak: The savory flavor of grilled meats is a great complement to the sweetness of the carrots.
- Roasted vegetables: Roasted veggies, such as broccoli or brussels sprouts, are also great options for a healthy and flavorful side dish.
- Mashed potatoes: The creaminess of mashed potatoes balances the sweetness of the carrots and makes for a satisfying and filling meal.
- Quinoa or brown rice: Whole grains provide a healthy and filling addition to any meal, and pair well with the flavors of parmesan air fryer carrots.
- Salad: A fresh salad with a mix of greens, nuts, and fruit can provide a refreshing and healthy side dish.
- Garlic bread or breadsticks: The crispy texture of garlic bread or breadsticks is a great complement to the crispy edges of the carrots.
Other Recipes to Make with Leftover Carrot Pieces
- Carrot soup: Use the leftover carrot pieces to make a delicious and healthy carrot soup. Simply cook the carrots in vegetable broth or water with other vegetables, such as onion and celery, until tender. Puree the mixture until smooth and season to taste.
- Carrot hummus: Use the leftover carrot pieces to make a delicious and healthy carrot hummus. Simply roast the carrots until tender, then puree with chickpeas, tahini, garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil until smooth. Season to taste and serve with pita chips or veggies.
- Carrot cake: Use the leftover carrot pieces to make a classic carrot cake. Simply grate the carrots and mix with flour, sugar, eggs, and other ingredients, such as cinnamon and nutmeg. Bake until fluffy and moist, then top with cream cheese frosting.
- Carrot slaw: Use the leftover carrot pieces to make a crunchy and flavorful carrot slaw.
- Carrot muffins: Use the leftover carrot pieces to make healthy and delicious carrot muffins. Simply grate the carrots and mix with flour, sugar, eggs, and other ingredients, such as raisins and walnuts. Bake until golden and fragrant, then enjoy for breakfast or a snack.
- Store leftover air fryer carrots in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- To prevent the carrots from getting mushy, store them in a shallow container.
- Air fryer carrots can last up to 4-5 days in the refrigerator.
- Reheat the leftover carrots in the air fryer for a few minutes to restore their crispiness and texture.
No, you do not need to add water to air fryer for vegetables. The air fryer uses hot air circulation to cook the vegetables, so adding water can actually make them soggy.
Roasted carrots may become tough if they are not cooked long enough, or if they are cooked at too high a temperature. To prevent tough roasted carrots, make sure they are cooked through and use a moderate temperature.
To roast in an air fryer, toss your vegetables in oil and seasonings, and place them in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Cook for the recommended time at the recommended temperature, shaking the basket occasionally to ensure even cooking.
Both boiling and roasting are good methods for cooking carrots. Boiling is a quick and easy method that can help retain some of the nutrients, while roasting provides a delicious flavor and crispy texture.
The best way to cook carrots depends on your personal preference and the recipe you are following. Some popular methods include boiling, roasting, grilling, or sautéing.
Peeling carrots before roasting is optional. The skin on carrots is edible and contains nutrients, so leaving it on can add extra nutrition and fiber. However, if you prefer the taste and texture of peeled carrots, feel free to peel them before roasting.
Parmesan Air Fryer Carrots
- 1 pound carrots sliced in half so there is a flat edge
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon jerk seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup parmesan
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees.
- Combine carrots, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and seasonings in a bowl. Toss to combine.
- Pour the 2 tablespoons olive oil into a 10 x 14 baking dish. Top with parmesan.
- Layer the carrots, flat side down, onto the baking dish.
- Bake in the air fryer for 20 minutes.