Ah, summer! As the temperatures climb and the long sunny days stretch out before us, our minds can't help but wander towards cool, sweet, summer desserts. As if by magic, one treat, in particular, always seems to drift to the top of my wish list: ice cream sandwiches. But wait, what if you're following a gluten-free diet? Does that mean you have to miss out on this classic summer treat? Absolutely not!
This recipe will introduce you to the delightful world of gluten-free ice cream sandwiches, more specifically, mini gluten-free chocolate chip ice cream sandwiches. I've got an easy mini gluten-free chocolate chip ice cream sandwich recipe for you to whip up these homemade goodies. Let's bring the nostalgia back to your summer, sans the gluten.
The Irresistible Appeal of Gluten-Free Ice Cream Sandwiches
There's something so satisfying about biting into a cold, creamy ice cream sandwich. But when you add gluten-free chocolate chip cookies to the equation? Amazing! You'll be churning out these homemade mini gluten-free chocolate chip ice cream sandwiches faster than you can say "Summer's here!"
These gluten-free desserts aren't just for those with gluten sensitivities or on gluten-free diets. Anyone looking for a tasty yet health-conscious option will be delighted by these summer desserts. They're perfect for children's parties or adults-only gatherings - everybody loves a tasty trip down memory lane!
Key Ingredients for Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Gluten-Free Flour: The backbone of your gluten-free chocolate chip cookies, this flour ensures your desserts are safe for those with gluten allergies or intolerances.
- Baking Soda: This ingredient allows your cookies to rise and gives them a soft and crumbly texture.
- Granulated Sugar & Brown Sugar: Both types of sugar add sweetness to your cookies, with brown sugar also contributing to a moist, chewy texture.
- Egg: This acts as a binding agent in your cookies, giving them structure and stability.
- Vanilla Extract: Vanilla extract enhances the flavors of the other ingredients, creating a depth of flavor that makes your cookies truly mouthwatering.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips: These morsels of joy give your cookies their chocolatey goodness and provide a delightful crunch in every bite.
- Unsalted Butter: It gives your cookies their rich, buttery flavor and soft, tender texture.
- Salt: A pinch of salt intensifies the sweet flavor of your cookies, creating a more complex taste.
- Vanilla Ice Cream: This creamy delight forms the 'ice cream' in your ice cream sandwich. Its smooth texture and subtle flavor perfectly complement the chewy chocolate chip cookies.
Step-By-Step Instructions for Gluten-Free Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Prepare your workspace: Start by lining a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the wet ingredients: Combine the melted butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and eggs in a large bowl. Use an electric mixer for a smooth mixture.
- Prepare the dry mixture: In a separate bowl, whisk together the gluten-free flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Combine mixtures: Gradually incorporate the dry mixture into the wet one. Blend well to ensure a consistent dough. Then, add in the vanilla extract and chocolate chips. Mix well until the chips are evenly distributed.
- Form the cookies: Roll the dough into teaspoon-sized balls and place them onto your prepared baking sheet.
- Chill: Let the cookie dough balls rest in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes. This helps to prevent them from spreading too much during baking.
- Bake: Place the cookies in the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes. Every 5 minutes, take out the cookies and tap the baking sheet on the counter to flatten the cookies.
- Cool: After baking, let the cookies cool down until they reach a golden-brown color.
- Assemble the sandwiches: Once your cookies are cool, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream to the bottom of one cookie. Place another cookie on top to complete the sandwich. Repeat with the remaining cookies and ice cream.
- Store: Place the completed ice cream sandwiches in an airtight container and store them in the freezer. Your delicious gluten-free chocolate chip ice cream sandwiches are ready to be enjoyed whenever you like!
Frequently Asked Questions
Stored properly in an airtight container, these ice cream sandwiches can last up to 2 weeks in the freezer.
Absolutely! Feel free to get creative with your ice cream choices. Just remember, the ice cream should complement your gluten-free chocolate chip cookies.
Yes, as long as the ingredients you're using are all gluten-free, these ice cream sandwiches are a safe and tasty treat for people with celiac disease.
Mini Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the melted butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and eggs together with an electric mixer.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Add the dry flour mixture to the butter mixture. Mix until combined. Add in the vanilla extract and chocolate chips.
- Scoop the cookie into teaspoon size balls and place them on the baking sheet.
- Chill in the fridge for 15 minutes before baking.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Take the cookies out every 5 minutes and pound the baking sheet on the counter to flatten the cookies.
- After 20 minutes, remove the cookies from the oven and cool. They should be golden brown.
- Once the cookies have cooled, top the bottom of one cookie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Top with the bottom of another cookie to make a sandwich. Repeat until all cookies are used.
- Store in the freezer in an airtight container.