Satisfy your sweet tooth with these delightful gluten-free funfetti cookies! These colorful, chewy cookies are perfect for birthday parties, holiday baking, or just a fun treat to brighten your day. Follow my simple recipe and step-by-step instructions to create the perfect funfetti cookie that will leave everyone asking for more.
What are funfetti cookies?
You may have heard of Funfetti Cake, but this recipe is even better! Funfetti cookies, a delightful variation of sugar cookies, incorporate bright sprinkles for a festive appearance. These fun cookies can be made from scratch using cups of gluten-free flour or cake mix cookies, also known as cake batter cookies, resulting in soft cookies with a tender crumb. In a medium bowl, combine wet ingredients, including teaspoons of vanilla extract, and mix dry ingredients, such as teaspoon salt, in a separate bowl. Fold in bright-colored sprinkles, which can be artificial colors or natural alternatives, before baking on a baking tray. Funfetti cookie recipes yield visually appealing and delicious sprinkle cookies, perfect for any occasion.
Looking for more delicious gluten-free treats? Check out some of my other recipes:
- Easy No-Knead Gluten-Free Bread
- Chocolate Covered Pineapple
- The Best Gluten-Free Pear Crumble
- How to Make the Best Oven-Dried Orange Slices
- Top Gluten-Free Cereal Brands for Breakfast
Key Ingredients for Gluten Free Funfetti Cookies
- Gluten-free flour blend: A high-quality gluten-free flour blend provides structure and ensures the perfect cookie texture. Choose a blend with xanthan gum for added elasticity and binding.
- Brown sugar & white sugar (cane sugar): A combination of these sugars provides sweetness, moisture, and a chewy texture.
- Unsalted butter: Using room temperature butter adds flavor and ensures a soft, tender cookie.
- Vanilla extract: Adds depth of flavor and enhances the taste of other ingredients.
- Funfetti sprinkles (rainbow sprinkles): These colorful sprinkles add brightness and a fun, festive touch to the cookies.
- Baking soda & salt: Baking soda helps the cookies rise, while salt balances the sweetness and enhances flavor.
Preheat the oven to 350°F and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
In a mixing bowl, combine the room temperature unsalted butter, white sugar, brown sugar, and egg using an electric mixer or handheld mixer with a paddle attachment.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the gluten-free flour blend, baking soda, and salt.
Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until well combined. Add in the teaspoons of vanilla extract and funfetti sprinkles, stirring with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.
Using a 1-tablespoon cookie scoop, form the funfetti cookie dough into balls and place them onto the prepared baking sheet. Space the cookies per cookie sheet to allow for spreading.
Chill the dough balls in the fridge for 15 minutes before baking to ensure a crisp edge and soft center.
Bake the cookies for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Rotate the baking sheet halfway through the baking time for even browning.
Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Tips for the Best Funfetti Cookies
- Use room temperature butter for a softer cookie and cold butter for a crispier cookie.
- Avoid overmixing the dough, as this can result in a tough and overbaked cookie.
- Feel free to add extra sprinkles on top of the unbaked cookie dough balls for a more festive appearance.
- Experiment with different gluten-free flour blends to find the one that yields the best texture for your cookies.
- Use parchment-lined baking sheets for easy cleanup and to prevent cookies from sticking.
Store your gluten-free funfetti cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week. For longer storage, freeze the cookies in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw at room temperature before enjoying.
Gluten-free cookies may fall apart due to the absence of gluten, which provides structure and elasticity in traditional baked goods. Using xanthan gum or a gluten-free flour blend containing it can help improve the texture and prevent crumbling.
A high-quality all-purpose gluten-free flour blend that contains xanthan gum is ideal for making cookies. Some popular options include Bob's Red Mill 1-to-1 Baking Flour and King Arthur Flour Measure for Measure Gluten-Free Flour.
To improve the texture of gluten-free cookies, make sure to measure your flour accurately, use a high-quality gluten-free flour blend, and consider adding xanthan gum if it's not already included in your flour blend. Chilling the dough before baking can also help improve the texture and prevent spreading.
Scrumptious Gluten-Free Funfetti Cookies
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the melted butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and eggs together with an electric mixer.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Add the dry flour mixture to the butter mixture. Mix until combined. Add in the vanilla extract and funfetti sprinkles.
- Scoop the cookie into large balls and place them on the baking sheet.
- Chill in the fridge for 15 minutes before baking.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Take the cookies out every 5 minutes and pound the baking sheet on the counter to flatten the cookies.
- After 20 minutes, remove the cookies from the oven and cool. They should be golden brown.