Indulge in the scrumptious gluten-free Twix bars that feature a flaky shortbread crust, creamy date caramel layer, and a rich chocolate coating. Whether you have a gluten intolerance or simply want to try a healthier version of your favorite candy bars, this recipe is a game-changer. The combination of buttery shortbread, sweet date caramel, and decadent chocolate makes these bars an irresistible treat.
With a flaky shortbread base, a creamy date caramel layer, and a rich chocolate coating, these bars are perfect for a sweet treat any time of the day. Try out the recipe with your favorite substitutions and tips for the perfect texture and taste.
What is the Difference between a Traditional Twix and a Gluten Free Twix?
Traditional Twix bars are made with wheat flour, while gluten-free Twix bars use a blend of gluten-free flour, almond flour, and powdered sugar. Gluten-free flour is a great substitute for wheat flour and is made from a blend of rice flour, tapioca flour, and potato starch. Almond flour adds a nutty flavor and moist texture to baked goods. The gluten-free version is a healthier option for people with gluten sensitivities.
Looking for more delicious gluten-free treats? Check out some of my other recipes:
- Easy No-Knead Gluten-Free Bread
- Chocolate Covered Pineapple
- The Best Gluten-Free Pear Crumble
- How to Make the Best Oven-Dried Orange Slices
- Top Gluten-Free Cereal Brands for Breakfast
What is date caramel?
Date caramel is a sweet and creamy spread made from dates, unsweetened coconut milk, vanilla extract, and salt. It serves as a healthier alternative to traditional caramel sauce, which typically contains artificial ingredients and added sugars.
- 1 cup gluten-free flour (I use King Arthur's Gluten Free Flour): This flour is made from a blend of rice flour, tapioca flour, and potato starch, and it's a great gluten-free substitute for wheat flour.
- 1 cup almond flour: Almond flour is a gluten-free, low-carb alternative to wheat flour that adds a nutty flavor and a moist texture to baked goods.
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter, softened: Butter is a key ingredient in the shortbread crust and adds a rich and buttery flavor.
- ½ cup powdered sugar: Powdered sugar is used to sweeten the shortbread crust and gives it a light and tender texture.
- ¼ teaspoon salt: Salt enhances the flavor of the shortbread crust.
- 7 ounces dark chocolate: Dark chocolate is used to make the chocolate coating for the Twix bars. It's high in antioxidants and has less sugar than milk chocolate.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter: Butter is added to the melted chocolate to make it smooth and glossy.
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk: Coconut milk is used to make the date caramel and adds a rich and creamy texture.
- 2 cups dates: Dates are the main ingredient in the date caramel and add natural sweetness and a caramel-like flavor.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract: Vanilla extract is used to flavor the date caramel and add a hint of sweetness.
- ½ teaspoon salt: Salt enhances the flavor of the date caramel.
Step-by-Step Directions for Making the Gluten-Free Twix Bars
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and line an 8x8 inch square baking dish with parchment paper.
- Combine the gluten-free flour, almond flour, powdered sugar, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add the softened butter and mix with a rubber spatula or use a food processor until a dough forms.
- Press the shortbread dough into the bottom of the prepared baking dish evenly.
- Bake the shortbread crust for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown. Let it cool.
Date Caramel Layer
- Combine the pitted dates, unsweetened coconut milk, vanilla extract, and salt in a food processor.
- Blend until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Spread the date caramel evenly over the cooled shortbread layer.
- Melt the dark chocolate and unsalted butter together in a double boiler or a microwave-safe bowl.
- Stir until the mixture is smooth and glossy.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the date caramel layer
Let the Twix Bars Set
- Place the baking dish in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours, or until the chocolate is set.
- Once the chocolate has hardened, remove the Twix bars from the baking dish by lifting the parchment paper.
- Cut the bars into 1-inch wide pieces using a sharp knife.
- Drizzle with extra melted chocolate or sprinkle with flaky sea salt if desired.
- Coconut oil: Use coconut oil instead of butter to make the recipe vegan and dairy-free.
- Maple syrup: Substitute the powdered sugar with maple syrup or honey for a natural liquid sweetener.
- Milk chocolate: Swap the dark chocolate with milk chocolate for a sweeter and creamier chocolate coating.
- Almond butter or cashew butter: Use almond or cashew butter instead of peanut butter for a nutty twist.
- Vegan butter: Replace the butter with vegan butter to make the recipe vegan and dairy-free.
- Coconut sugar: Use coconut sugar instead of powdered sugar for a healthier and more natural sweetener.
- Refined coconut oil: Substitute the butter with refined coconut oil for a dairy-free option with a mild coconut flavor.
Tips for the Best Gluten Free Twix Bars
- Use parchment paper to line the baking dish to prevent sticking and make cleanup easy.
- Let the shortbread crust cool completely before adding the date caramel layer to prevent the layers from blending.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the Twix bars into even bars.
- Store the Twix bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week or freeze for longer shelf life.
- Drizzle the Twix bars with extra melted chocolate or sprinkle with flaky sea salt for a gourmet touch.
No, using wheat flour will make the recipe non-gluten-free. You can use a gluten-free flour blend, like King Arthur's Gluten Free Flour, to make the recipe gluten-free.
Yes, you can use milk chocolate for a sweeter and creamier chocolate coating.
The Twix bars can last up to a week in an airtight container in the refrigerator or up to a month in the freezer.
Yes, you can make the recipe vegan by substituting the butter with vegan butter or coconut oil, and the chocolate with vegan chocolate chips.
Gluten Free Twix (No Corn Syrup)
- 1 cup gluten-free flour I use King Arthur's Gluten Free Flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
The chocolate top
- 7 ounces dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
The date caramel
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 cups dates
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 325 and line an 8x8 square baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine softened butter, almond flour, gluten-free flour, and powdered sugar in a large bowl using your hands or a food processor. Work the mixture for about 5 minutes.
- Press the shortbread into the bottom of the baking dish evenly. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes. Let cool.
The date caramel
- Combine pitted dates, vanilla extract, salt, and unsweetened coconut milk in a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Spread the date caramel evenly over the shortbread top.
The chocolate top
- Melt chocolate and butter together in a microwave safe bowl.
- Stir until smooth.
- Pour chocolate over the date caramel layer.
- Let the Twix bars set for at least 3 hours in the refrigerator before slicing.
Leave a Reply