Mini meringues are the perfect holiday treat! I love making mini meringues because they’re so easy to make and they taste great! They’re also a fun dessert to serve at parties.
Meringues are a mixture of whipped egg whites, sugar, acid, and cream of tartar. You can swirl them with different kinds of jam, cranberry reduction, or even chocolate or lemon curd. I sometimes like to serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, but if you prefer something sweeter, try serving it with whipped cream and fresh fruit. It’s also delicious served with a warm berry reduction and fresh fruit. They would also be delicious with a heavy cream drizzle.
Meringues can be tricky to make at first, but once you perfect your skills, it's easy!
Tips When Making Meringues
- Avoid using cold eggs. It's best to use room-temperature eggs.
- The first step in making meringues is to prepare the meringue base. To do this, whisk together the egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl until stiff peaks form. Then, beat in the sugar tablespoon by tablespoon. Finally, fold in the cornflour and vanilla extract.
- Make sure the sugar is completely dissolved in the mixture by rubbing the meringue between your fingers.
- Make sure you've whipped the mixture enough. You should be able to hold the bowl of meringue over your head without it falling.
- Make sure to use cream of tartar.
What is the difference between regular granulated sugar and superfine sugar?
The main difference is that superfine sugar has a finer texture than regular granulated sugar. It dissolves better in liquids and tends to dissolve at lower temperatures. This means it will melt slightly quicker if heated too high.
What's the difference between meringue vs pavlova?
Meringues are baked egg whites whipped into stiff peaks. They're often used as bases for cakes and desserts. Pavlovas are made by whipping cream and sugar together and then folding that into beaten egg yolks. The result is a light dessert that has a fluffier texture than meringue.
Why did my meringue collapse?
If your meringue collapsed when baking, it may have been overcooked. If the top was still soft after 30 minutes, bake it for an extra 5 minutes.
Why did my meringue crack?
Cracking can happen when the oven temperature isn't set correctly. If you see cracks on the surface of the meringue, check the oven temperature again. If it's not accurate, adjust the heat setting.
How do you separate the egg whites and yolks?
Separate the egg whites from the yolks by cracking open the shell and gently separating the two halves. Crack the eggshell all around the edge where the white meets the yolk. Gently pull apart the two halves.
How long does it take to whip the egg whites?
It takes about ten minutes to whip the egg whites to stiff peaks.
How long does it take to cook the meringue?
It takes about one hour in the oven baking and then one hour of rest time in the oven.
How big should the meringues be?
They should be about 3 inches tall.
Can I freeze meringues?
Yes, they can be frozen. Just let the meringues thaw before eating.
Raspberry Mini Meringues
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt together.
- Once the mixture starts to foam, start adding in sugar one tablespoon at a time.
- Beat until soft peaks form.
- Add in vanilla extract.
- Beat until stiff peaks form and you can't feel any sugar in the meringue.
- Line a baking sheet with a sheet of parchment paper.
- Scoop about ½ cup meringue in a dollop on the parchment paper.
- Form mini meringues with a spoon.
- Dot the top of each mini meringue with a teaspoon of jam.
- Place in the oven for 1 hour. After an hour, turn the oven off and leave the meringues in the oven for another hour.
- After that hour, that the mini meringues out of the oven and enjoy.
- If you're saving them for later, store them in an airtight container at room temperature.