Are you looking for the perfect gluten free vegan blondies recipe? Look no further! I'll show you how to make delicious and fudgy gluten-free vegan blondie recipe that's delicious. Plus, I'll give you some tips on how to make them even more amazing and share some variations you can try.
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below and/or a review in the comments section down the page. You can also stay in touch with me through social media by following me on Instagram, Pinterest, and TikTok or by subscribing to my newsletter.
Made with a combination of vegan butter, light brown sugar, and flax eggs, these blondies are moist and flavorful. Some people even call them blonde brownies! The addition of gluten-free flour, baking powder, and salt gives them a soft and chewy texture that's hard to resist. And, of course, no blondie is complete without a generous helping of chocolate chips and vegan chocolate spread, which add an extra layer of richness and indulgence to every bite.
They're the perfect sweet treat for anyone following a vegan or gluten-free diet, and they're sure to satisfy your cravings for something sweet and indulgent. Whether you enjoy them as an after-dinner dessert or as a midday snack, these blondies are sure to hit the spot. Happy baking!
Looking for more delicious and satisfying recipes that are also gluten-free? Try my 4 ingredient banana snickers bites, the best gluten-free chocolate chip muffins (bakery style), and my gluten-free andes mint crumbl cookie recipe.
- Brownies vs. Blondies
- How do blondies made from scratch taste?
- Key Ingredients in Dairy-Free Blondies
- Step-by-Step Instructions
- Tips for Making the Best Blondies
- Ingredient Substitutions
- Add-Ins for Blondies
- How to make a flax egg
- What's the best gluten-free flour brand for blondies?
- How to Line a Brownie Pan with Parchment Paper
- Recommended Equipment
- The Best Vegan Butter Brand
- How to Cut Blondies Perfectly
- Blondies Storage Tips
- The BEST Gluten-Free Vegan Blondies
Brownies vs. Blondies
Brownies and blondies are both types of baked desserts that are made with a mixture of flour, sugar, and butter. However, there are a few key differences between the two:
Ingredients: The main difference between brownies and blondies is the ingredients used to give them their flavor and color. Brownies are typically made with cocoa powder, which gives them a deep, chocolatey flavor and a dark brown color. Blondies are made with brown sugar, which gives them a lighter, sweeter flavor and a golden brown color.
Texture: Brownies are typically denser and fudgier than blondies, which tend to be softer and chewier. Blondies are made with a higher ratio of butter to flour, which results in a softer, more cake-like texture.
Appearance: Brownies are a dark brown color due to the cocoa powder used in the recipe. Blondies are a lighter, golden brown color due to the brown sugar used in the recipe.
Despite these differences, both brownies and blondies are delicious treats that are perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth. Whether you prefer the rich, fudgy flavor of brownies or the softer blondies, there's a dessert for everyone!
How do blondies made from scratch taste?
Blondies made from scratch tend to have a rich, buttery flavor and a soft, chewy texture. They are similar to brownies, but have a lighter, sweeter flavor because of the brown sugar. The texture of blondies can vary depending on the ratio of butter to flour used in the recipe. Some blondies may have a softer, more cake-like texture, while others may be slightly denser and chewier. Blondies made from scratch are a delicious and satisfying treat perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth.
Key Ingredients in Dairy-Free Blondies
Here are the key ingredients in the recipe for gluten free vegan blondies:
- Vegan butter: This ingredient adds moisture and richness to the blondies. It also helps to give them a soft and chewy texture.
- Light brown sugar: Brown sugar is less refined than white sugar and has a more complex, slightly caramel-like flavor. It also helps to give the blondies a golden brown color. You may replace with coconut sugar.
- Flax eggs: These are a vegan egg substitute made by mixing ground flaxseeds with water. They help to bind the ingredients together and give the blondies structure.
- Vanilla extract: This adds a subtle sweetness and depth of flavor to the blondies.
- Gluten-free flour: made from a blend of gluten-free grains and is perfect for those following a gluten-free diet. It gives the blondies structure and helps them to hold together.
- Baking powder: This helps the blondies to rise and gives them a light, fluffy texture.
- Salt: This helps to balance out the sweetness of the blondies and enhances the overall flavor.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips: These add a rich and indulgent flavor to the blondies. Make sure to use vegan chocolate chips. Or, try using mini chocolate chips.
- Vegan chocolate spread: This adds an extra layer of chocolatey goodness to the blondies. You may replace this with sunflower seed butter instead.
The step-by-step instructions for making gluten-free vegan blondies:
Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
Mixing the ingredients:
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the melted vegan butter, light brown sugar, and sugar until well combined.
In a separate small bowl, whisk together the flax eggs and vanilla extract. Add the flax egg mixture to the butter and sugar mixture, and whisk until smooth.
In another small bowl, whisk together the gluten-free flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring until just combined.
Stir in the chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
Add dollops of the vegan chocolate spread on top and use a knife to swirl the two mixtures together. Top with more chocolate chips.
Baking the blondies:
Pour the blondie mixture into a greased 9x9-inch baking pan. Smooth the top with a spatula.
Bake the blondies for 25-30 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Allow the blondies to cool in the pan for a few minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
Tips for Making the Best Blondies
- Use high-quality ingredients: For the best flavor and texture, be sure to use high-quality ingredients such as vegan butter, light brown sugar, and gluten-free flour.
- Don't overmix the batter: Mix the ingredients just until they are well combined. Overmixing the batter can result in dense, heavy blondies.
- Use the right size pan: Make sure to use a 9x9-inch pan as specified in the recipe. Using a larger pan will result in thinner, drier blondies, while using a smaller pan will result in thicker, more undercooked blondies.
- Don't overbake the blondies: Keep an eye on the blondies as they bake, and remove them from the oven as soon as they are lightly golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Overbaking the blondies will result in dry, overcooked blondies.
- Let the blondies cool before slicing: Allow the blondies to cool in the pan for a few minutes before slicing and serving. This will make it easier to cut neat, even slices and will also help the blondies hold their shape.
- Vegan butter: If you don't have vegan butter, you can try substituting with another type of vegan margarine or coconut oil. Just be aware that these substitutions may affect the flavor and texture of the gluten free vegan blondies.
- Light brown sugar: If you don't have light brown sugar, you can use dark brown sugar or white sugar instead. Using dark brown sugar will give the blondies a deeper, richer flavor, while using white sugar will give them a lighter, sweeter flavor.
- Flax eggs: If you don't have flax eggs, you can use another type of egg replacer such as chia eggs or a store-bought egg replacer. Alternatively, you can try using 3 tablespoons of unsweetened applesauce or mashed banana in place of the flax eggs.
- Gluten-free flour: If you don't have gluten-free flour, you can try using a different type of gluten-free flour blend, or you can try using almond flour or coconut flour instead. Just be aware that these substitutions may affect the texture and structure of the blondies.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips: If you don't have semi-sweet chocolate chips, you can use milk chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips, or white chocolate chips instead for white chocolate blondies.
- Vegan chocolate spread: If you don't have vegan chocolate spread, you can use peanut butter, almond butter, or another type of chocolate spread instead. You can also try using melted chocolate in place of the chocolate spread.
Add-Ins for Blondies
Here are a few ideas for add-ins you can try in this recipe for gluten free vegan blondies:
- Nuts: Chopped nuts such as almonds, pecans, or walnuts add a crunchy texture and a nutty flavor to the blondies.
- Dried fruit: Dried fruit such as raisins, cranberries, or chopped dates add a chewy texture and a sweet, fruity flavor to the blondies.
- Coconut: Shredded coconut adds a tropical flavor and a crunchy texture to the blondies.
- Spices: Try adding a pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg to the blondie batter for a warm, spicy flavor.
- Extracts: Try adding a teaspoon of peppermint extract, almond extract, or orange extract to the blondie batter for a flavor boost.
- Chocolate chunks: In addition to the chocolate chips, you can also try adding some chopped vegan chocolate bars or chocolate chunks to the blondie batter for extra richness.
- Caramel: Swirl some vegan caramel sauce or drizzle some caramel over the top of the blondies before baking for a delicious and indulgent twist.
How to make a flax egg
To make one flax egg, you will need:
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
- 3 tablespoons water
- In a small bowl, mix together the ground flaxseeds and water.
- Let the mixture sit for a few minutes to thicken.
- Use the flax egg as a replacement for one regular egg in your recipe.
Flax eggs are a great vegan egg substitute and can be used in many different types of baked goods. They help to bind the ingredients together and give structure to the finished product. Keep in mind that flax eggs may result in a slightly different texture and flavor than regular eggs, depending on the recipe.
What's the best gluten-free flour brand for blondies?
Although there are many gluten-free flours, not all act the same in recipes. One of the best gluten-free flour brands for blondies is King Arthur Measure-for-Measure Gluten-Free Flour. It acts the same as regular all purpose flour. The blend already contains xanthan gum, too. This flour is made from a blend of gluten-free grains and is specially formulated to be a cup-for-cup replacement for all-purpose wheat flour in most recipes. This makes it easy to use in a wide range of baked goods, including blondies.
How to Line a Brownie Pan with Parchment Paper
- Lay the brownie pan on top of a sheet of parchment paper.
- Trace the outline of the pan onto the parchment paper with a pen or pencil.
- Cut out the parchment paper along the traced lines, using scissors.
- Place the cut-out parchment paper into the bottom of the brownie pan, fitting it into the corners and sides as needed.
- Press the parchment paper gently into place, smoothing out any wrinkles or creases.
Lining a brownie pan with parchment paper helps to prevent the blondies from sticking to the pan and makes it easier to remove them once they are baked. It also helps to keep the blondies from getting too brown on the bottom and helps to keep the edges from getting too hard. To remove the blondies from the pan, simply lift the parchment paper out of the pan by the edges and transfer the blondies to a cutting board or serving platter.
Here is a list of equipment you will need to make this recipe for gluten free vegan blondies, along with an explanation for why each item is necessary:
- Mixing bowls: You will need at least two mixing bowls to mix together the wet and dry ingredients for the blondies.
- Whisk: A whisk is used to mix together the wet and dry ingredients and to ensure that they are well combined.
- Measuring cups and spoons: These are used to measure out the correct amounts of each ingredient. It is important to measure ingredients accurately to ensure that the blondies turn out correctly.
- 9x9-inch baking pan: This is the size of pan specified in the recipe and is the correct size for this particular batch of blondies.
- Parchment paper (optional): Parchment paper is used to line the bottom of the baking pan and helps to prevent the blondies from sticking to the pan. It also makes it easier to remove the blondies from the pan once they are baked.
- Spatula: A spatula is used to mix together the ingredients and to smooth the top of the blondie mixture before baking.
The Best Vegan Butter Brand
Many people consider Miyoko's Creamery to be the best vegan butter brand on the market. This brand is known for its high-quality, plant-based butter alternatives that are made from a blend of coconut oil and other natural ingredients. This is the brand I use in these gluten-free vegan blondies.
One of the things that sets Miyoko's Creamery vegan butter apart from other brands is its flavor and texture. It has a creamy, rich flavor that is similar to traditional butter, and it has a smooth, spreadable consistency that makes it easy to use in a wide range of recipes. It is also free from dairy, soy, and other common allergens, making it a great choice for those with dietary restrictions.
Check out my vegan s'mores cookies on my blog!
How to Cut Blondies Perfectly
To cut blondies perfectly, follow these steps:
- Allow the blondies to cool completely before slicing. This will help them to hold their shape and make it easier to cut neat, even slices.
- Use a sharp, thin-bladed knife to slice the blondies. A serrated knife can also be effective for cutting through the soft, chewy texture of the blondies.
- If the blondies are sticking to the knife, try wiping the blade with a damp cloth between slices to keep the knife clean and help the blondies release more easily.
- If you are having trouble slicing the blondies evenly, you can use a ruler or a cake leveler as a guide to ensure that you are cutting even slices.
- If you want to cut the blondies into small bite-sized pieces, you can use a small cookie cutter or a sharp paring knife to cut them into fun shapes.
By following these tips, you should be able to cut perfect, even slices of blondies every time!
Blondies Storage Tips
To store these gluten-free vegan blondies, follow these steps:
- Allow the blondies to cool completely before storing.
- Transfer the blondies to an airtight container. If you have sliced the blondies, arrange them in the container in a single even layer, with a piece of parchment or wax paper between each layer to prevent them from sticking together.
- Close the container tightly and store the blondies in a cool, dry place.
- If you will be storing the blondies for more than a few days, you can also wrap the container in plastic wrap or aluminum foil to help keep the blondies fresh.
- To serve the blondies, simply remove the desired number of blondies from the container and enjoy!
By following these steps, you can store the blondies for up to a week at room temperature, or for up to a month in the fridge or freezer. Just be sure to wrap the blondies well if you are storing them in the fridge or freezer to prevent them from drying out.
You can freeze blondies for up to a month. Just be sure to wrap them well to prevent them from drying out and to keep them fresh.
They are typically moist, chewy, and dense, with a soft, fudgy texture. The outside edges of blondies are often slightly crispy and caramelized, while the center is soft and gooey.
Light brown sugar is used in the recipe because it adds a rich, caramel-like flavor to the blondies, but you can use dark brown sugar or white sugar instead if you prefer.
The recipe calls for a specific brand of gluten-free flour, but you can use a different brand or a different type of gluten-free flour blend if you prefer.
The recipe calls for flax eggs, which are made from ground flaxseeds mixed with water. If you don't have flax seeds, you can use another type of egg replacer such as chia eggs or a store-bought egg replacer.
The recipe calls for semi-sweet chocolate chips, but you can use milk chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, dark chocolate chips, or white chocolate chips instead if you prefer.
The BEST Gluten-Free Vegan Blondies
- Mixing bowls
- 9x9-inch baking pan
- Parchment paper
- 2 sticks vegan butter melted
- ⅔ cup light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 3 flax "eggs"
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups gluten-free flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup semi-sweet vegan chocolate chips
- ¼ cup vegan chocolate spread
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the melted vegan butter, light brown sugar, and granulated sugar until well combined.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the flax eggs and vanilla extract. Add the flax egg mixture to the butter and sugar mixture, and whisk until smooth.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the gluten-free flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring until just combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
- Pour the blondie mixture into a greased 9x9-inch baking pan. Smooth the top with a spatula.
- Add dollops of the vegan chocolate spread on top and use a knife to swirl the two mixtures together. Top with more chocolate chips.
- Bake the blondies for 25-30 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the blondies to cool in the pan for a few minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply