If you're a fan of coconut flavors and desserts, you're in for a treat with this delicious vegan gluten-free coconut cake recipe. Packed with shredded coconut and topped with a creamy coconut buttercream frosting, this cake is perfect for coconut lovers who are looking for a dairy-free and gluten-free option. It's easy to make and uses only vegan ingredients, making it a great option for those who are on a plant-based diet.
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below and/or a review in the comments section down the page. Stay in touch with me through social media by following me on Instagram, Pinterest, and TikTok or by subscribing to my newsletter.
The recipe starts with mixing the dry ingredients, including gluten-free flour, corn starch, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Once the dry ingredients are mixed, the shredded coconut and wet ingredients, such as melted vegan butter, plain apple sauce, vanilla extract, and coconut milk, are added to create the moist crumbs that make up this delicious cake.
To bring out even more coconut flavors, toasted coconut and desiccated coconut can be used as toppings. And let's not forget about the vegan coconut buttercream frosting that's made with powdered sugar, softened vegan butter, coconut milk, and vanilla extract. This vegan frosting is the perfect addition to this vegan coconut layer cake, making it one of our favorite recipes to share with coconut lovers. The baking time is only 30 minutes, and you'll have a delicious cake that's both gluten-free and dairy-free.
Looking for more gluten free recipes? Check out How to Make the BEST Oven Dried Orange Slices, Easy No-Knead Gluten Free Bread, and No Bake Chocolate Pomegranate Bites.
What You Need to Know about Vegan Gluten Free Coconut Cake
This vegan gluten-free coconut cake is the ultimate cake for coconut lovers and fans. It's made with vegan butter, coconut milk, and shredded coconut, giving it a delicious and strong coconut flavor. And if you want to add some extra coconut flavor to the cake, you can use full-fat coconut milk instead of regular milk.
The cake layers are moist and fluffy, and they're perfect for holding the delicious coconut buttercream frosting. The vegan frosting is made with powdered sugar, softened vegan butter, coconut milk, and vanilla extract. It's the perfect complement to the coconut cake layers and adds a creamy texture to the cake.
This vegan coconut cake recipe is perfect for those who are on a plant-based diet, and it's a great option for those who are gluten-free. It's easy to make and is sure to impress anyone who loves coconut flavors. So if you're looking for a delicious coconut cake for your next celebration, this vegan gluten-free coconut cake is definitely the one to try.
Looking for more gluten free recipes?
- How to Make the Best Oven-Dried Orange Slices
- Easy No-Knead Gluten-Free Bread
- Top Gluten-Free Cereal Brands for Breakfast 2022
- Traditional Gluten-Free Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Chocolate-Covered Pineapple: How to Make
- Copycat Gluten-Free Cheez-It Crackers Recipe
Why is my vegan cake not fluffy?
- Overmixing the batter: If you overmix the batter, it can result in a dense and heavy cake. Make sure to mix the batter until it's just combined.
- Not using the right leavening agents: Leavening agents, such as baking powder and baking soda, help the cake rise and become fluffy. Make sure to use the right amount of leavening agents and check their expiration dates.
- Not using the right amount of liquid: The amount of liquid in the batter can affect the texture of the cake. Make sure to measure the liquid accurately and use the amount specified in the recipe.
- Not using the right amount of vegan butter or fat: Vegan butter or fat helps to add moisture to the cake and make it fluffy. Make sure to use the right amount of vegan butter or fat as specified in the recipe.
- Gluten-free flour: This is the main flour used in the recipe, and it's important for creating the structure of the cake. Using gluten-free flour ensures that the cake is suitable for those who are gluten intolerant or have celiac disease.
- Corn starch: Corn starch helps to make the cake tender and moist by binding to the liquid in the recipe.
- Baking soda and baking powder: These leavening agents help the cake rise and become fluffy. Using the right amount of baking soda and baking powder is essential for creating the ultimate cake.
- Salt: Salt helps to balance the sweetness of the cake and enhances the flavor.
- Dessicated coconut: This dry ingredient is made by grating the flesh of a mature coconut and is used to add texture and flavor to the cake. It's an important ingredient for creating the delicious coconut flavor in the cake.
- Vegan butter: This ingredient helps to add richness and moisture to the cake. Using vegan butter ensures that the cake is suitable for those who are on a plant-based diet.
- Plain apple sauce: Apple sauce helps to make the cake moist and tender while also reducing the amount of fat needed in the recipe.
- Vanilla extract: Vanilla extract adds flavor to the cake and helps to balance the sweetness.
- Canned coconut milk: This is a key ingredient in the recipe and helps to add the delicious coconut flavor to the cake. It's important to use canned coconut milk, as it has a higher fat content than other non-dairy milk and helps to create a richer and more flavorful cake.
Other Optional Additions for Topping or Filling the Cake
- Vegan cream cheese: This ingredient can be used to make a delicious cream cheese frosting for the cake. It adds a tangy and creamy flavor that pairs well with the coconut flavors.
- Coconut sugar: This can be used as a substitute for granulated sugar to add a caramel-like flavor to the cake.
- Coconut flakes: Toasted coconut flakes can be used as a topping to add a crunchy texture and extra coconut flavor to the cake.
- Coconut rum: This ingredient can be added to the cake batter or used to make a glaze for the cake. It adds a delicious and tropical flavor to the cake.
- Non-dairy milk: This ingredient can be used to make a thinner and lighter frosting or glaze for the cake. It's important to use a non-dairy milk, such as almond or soy milk, to keep the recipe dairy-free.
- Coconut cream frosting: This frosting can be made by whipping coconut cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract together. It's a delicious and creamy frosting that pairs perfectly with the coconut cake recipe.
For the cake:
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
In a medium bowl, mix together the gluten-free flour, corn starch, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
In a separate bowl, mix together the granulated sugar, melted vegan butter, plain apple sauce, and vanilla extract until well combined.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
Stir in the coconut milk and shredded coconut until the batter is well mixed.
Line the bottoms of two 8-inch cake pans with parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
Pour the batter evenly into the prepared cake pans.
Bake the cakes for 30 minutes, starting to check for doneness at 27 minutes.
For the frosting:
In a large bowl, cream the softened vegan butter until it's light and fluffy.
Gradually add the powdered sugar, mixing well after each addition, until the frosting is smooth and creamy.
Add the coconut milk and vanilla extract to the frosting and mix until well combined.
Continue mixing the frosting until it's light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
If the frosting is too thick, add more coconut milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it reaches the desired consistency.
Let the cakes cool completely on a wire rack before assembling the cake.
Place one cake layer on a cake plate or stand.
Spread a layer of creamy coconut frosting on top of the cake layer.
Add the second cake layer on top of the frosting, making sure it's level.
Spread another layer of frosting on top of the second cake layer.
Use a spatula or knife to spread the frosting evenly around the sides of the cake.
Smooth the top of the cake with a spatula or knife.
Optional: add toasted coconut flakes or other optional additions to the top of the cake.
Serve and enjoy the delicious vegan gluten-free coconut cake!
Expert Tips for Making Cake
- Use room temperature ingredients for the best results.
- Don't overmix the batter, as this can result in a dense cake.
- Use canned coconut milk for a richer and more flavorful cake.
- Line the cake pans with parchment paper for easy removal.
- Let the cakes cool completely before frosting to prevent the frosting from melting.
- Use a serrated knife to level the cake layers for even stacking.
- Add toasted coconut flakes or other optional additions for extra flavor and texture.
- Add vegan cream cheese to the frosting for a tangy and creamy flavor.
- Use almond milk instead of coconut milk for a lighter and nuttier flavor.
- Add extra shredded coconut or toasted coconut flakes for more coconut flavor and texture.
- Make a vegan vanilla cake by omitting the shredded coconut and adding more vanilla extract.
One way to keep a gluten-free cake moist is to add ingredients such as applesauce or yogurt to the batter. Another way is to store the cake in an airtight container or wrap it in plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out. You can also brush the cake layers with a simple syrup made with equal parts sugar and water to add moisture.
A vegan cake will typically last for 3-4 days if stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. If you need to store the cake for longer, you can wrap it in plastic wrap and store it in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Vegan cake is different from regular cake in that it doesn't contain any animal products, such as butter, milk, or eggs. Instead, vegan cake uses plant-based ingredients, such as vegan butter, non-dairy milk, and applesauce, to create a similar texture and flavor. Vegan cake can also be gluten-free, making it suitable for those who have celiac disease or gluten intolerance.
The BEST Vegan Gluten-Free Coconut Cake
- 2 ½ cups gluten free flour
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 stick unsalted vegan butter melted
- ¼ cup plain apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cup coconut milk
- 1 ½ cups shredded coconut
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 sticks unsalted vegan butter softened
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded coconut
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and prepare two 8-inch cake pans.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the gluten-free flour, corn starch, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the granulated sugar, melted vegan butter, plain apple sauce, and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Stir in the coconut milk and shredded coconut until the batter is well mixed.
- Pour the batter evenly into the prepared cake pans and bake for 30 minutes.
- Once done, remove the cakes from the oven and let them cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing them from the pans and letting them cool completely on a wire rack.
For the frosting:
- In a large bowl, cream the softened vegan butter until it's light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, mixing well after each addition, until the frosting is smooth and creamy.
- Add the coconut milk and vanilla extract to the frosting and mix until well combined.
- Continue mixing the frosting until it's light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Once the cake layers are cooled, assemble the cake by spreading a layer of creamy coconut frosting between each layer of cake.
- Use the remaining frosting to frost the sides and top of the cake, making sure to cover the cake evenly.
- Once the cakes are cooled, assemble the cake by layering the cakes with the vegan coconut buttercream frosting. Once frosted, press the shredded coconut onto the frosted cake.
Leave a Reply