Strawberry syrup is my favorite ice cream topping, and it's so easy to make!
The strawberry season is short, but it's a sweet one. The first strawberries of spring arrive at farmers' markets and grocery stores around mid-March or early April. They're followed by more abundant supplies throughout May and June. In July and August, you'll find plenty of berries for sale year-round. Strawberries can be stored up to two weeks after picking if they haven't been refrigerated.
Vegan vs. Non-Vegan Ice Cream
Ice cream has long been considered the ultimate dessert because it combines sweetness and creamy texture in an indulgent way that no other food does. But what exactly makes something "ice cream"? Is there such thing as vegan ice cream? Yes! It just doesn't contain any animal products like eggs or butterfat. Vegan ice creams are often made from coconut oil instead of dairy fat, which gives them their signature smoothness.
Ice Cream Toppings
There are endless ways to top your favorite flavors with different ingredients. Some popular choices include:
- Nuts - Almonds, peanuts, pecans, walnuts, etc.
- Chocolate chips - Chocolate covered pretzels, chocolate coated marshmallows, and mini M&M's.
- Coconut flakes - Coconut flakes sprinkled on vanilla bean ice cream, shredded coconut added to brownies, etc.
- Fruit - Berries, cherries, grapes, and apples.
Strawberry Syrup Sundae
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3 cups sliced strawberries
- Heat water and brown sugar in pan on high heat.
- Mix in strawberries and boil.
- Reduce heat to low and stir until thick (15 minutes).
- Strain sauce to remove strawberry pieces (this is totally optional) and refrigerate in a container until ready to make sundaes!