This gluten-free gingerbread cookies recipe makes soft, flavorful, and delicious gingerbread cookies.
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below and/or a review in the comments section down the page. You can also stay in touch with me through social media by following me on Instagram, Pinterest, and TikTok or by subscribing to my newsletter.
These perfectly chewy gluten-free classic gingerbread cookies are perfect for the Holiday season! Whether you're looking for a gingerbread cookie dough recipe to make gluten-free gingerbread men or a gluten-free gingerbread house, this is the recipe for you! The secret to all the flavor is in the spiced mix: ground cardamom, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg work together to bring these cookies to life! Top with royal icing for the ultimate cookie for the cookie plate.
A Note on Gluten-Free Flour
The gluten-free flour I use for this recipe is King Arthur's Measure-for-Measure gluten-free flour blend. I have tried Bob's Red Mill gluten-free flour, but the cookies spread too much. King Arthur's flour keeps the structural integrity of the cookies while also keeping the baked cookies soft and chewy. The flour mixture is dairy-free, too, so if you're going to make this recipe vegan, use King Arthur's Measure-for-Measure gluten-free flour mixture. It also already contains xanthan gum so you don't have to worry about that. For more information on gluten-free baking, check out my Gluten Free Baking School.
Is gingerbread gluten-free?
- Gluten-Free Flour: I recommend using King Arthur's Measure-for-Measure gluten-free flour blend.
- Baking soda: helps the cookies brown and gives you a crispier cookie.
- Molasses: gives the cookies a deep, flavorful flavor. It is essential to use molasses in gingerbread cookie recipes.
- Spices: a spice blend of ground cinnamon, ground ginger, ground cardamom, and ground nutmeg make the cookies pop. Mix the spices with the dry ingredients (gluten-free flour and baking soda) first.
- Butter: use softened, unsalted butter for best results.
See recipe card for quantities.
Tips for Making Gluten-Free Gingerbread Cookies
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl first before combining them with the wet ingredients.
- Make sure the butter is softened.
- Chill the cookie dough in the fridge in two discs wrapped in plastic wrap for at least 2 hours before rolling out. After cutting the cookies out with cookie cutters, chill the dough in the fridge for another 15 minutes before baking.
- Roll the cookie dough out on plastic wrap for easy cleanup.
- Vegan - use vegan butter and a flax egg to make gluten-free vegan gingerbread cookies.
- Gingerbread houses - use this recipe to make gluten-free gingerbread houses. Just get some gingerbread house cutouts and get to work!
Check out my vegan chocolate pudding with bananas HERE.
Baking sheets: you will need at least two large baking sheets for these gingerbread cookies. Use baking sheets lined with precut parchment paper for the best results.
Store the baked cookies in an airtight container for up to five days at room temperature.
Freeze baked cookies in a freezer-safe container for up to three months.
Store unbaked gingerbread cookie dough in plastic wrap and a freezer-safe container for up to three months.
Easy Gluten-Free Soft Gingerbread Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine gluten-free flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, ginger, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream softened butter and egg together. Add brown sugar, molasses, and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Divide the cookie dough into two discs and wrap them with plastic wrap. Chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Roll dough until it's ½ an inch thick. Use cookie cutters to cut shapes out and line on the baking sheets, leaving 1 inch of space between each cookie cutout.
- Chill the unbaked cookies in the fridge for 15 more minutes.
- Bake in the oven for 14-16 minutes. Let the cookies cool completely on a cooling rack before icing or enjoy them plain.